Skip to content
- It is extremely important to test and clean all smoke detectors on a regular basis.
- Replace the batteries according to the manufacturer’s recommendations, or at least once every six months. It’s easy to remember to change your detector batteries, do it when you set your clocks ahead an hour or back an hour.
- Never paint a detector.
- When you vacuum your house, run the extension hose over your detector to clear away any cobwebs and dust. Try to do this once a week to make sure that you are protected.
- Install a smoke alarm on every floor of your home, even the basement.
- Install a smoke alarm outside every sleeping area. Ideally, install smoke alarms in every sleeping area, too.
- Replace smoke alarms after 10 years.